Friday, November 11, 2005

Curse of the Ex-Steelers

OK, I've just figured out how to put links on this thing. I think it's kind of stupid to have a blog that just links to other inane shit, but since I haven't had time to come up with anything to say this week here are a few Steelers-related stories from the last few years that I find interesting.

It seems like every time there's a story with a headline like this, Former NFL Lineman Killed in Horrible Tree Mishap, it ends up involving a former Steelers player. I'm not trying to make light of a man's death. Believe me, nobody feels worse about a guy getting crushed by a tree than me. But it seems like former players of the Steelers are involved in a disproportionate share of tragic deaths. For example, take a look at the horrible life Hall of Fame center Mike Webster had after leaving the NFL. It is very similar to the legacy of Steelers QB Joe Gilliam. Perhaps saddest for me, because I remember him so vividly as a player, was the death of Justin Strelczyk, who led state troopers on a 40-mile chase on the New York State Thruway before dying in a fiery, head-on collision with a tanker truck carrying corrosive acid.


To lighten things up a little bit here are a couple of stories about Steelers fans that I find amusing. The first one, called A Fan's Farewell, tells about a Steelers fan whose dying wishes were that he be propped up in a recliner, beer in hand, wearing Steelers pajamas and watching the Steelers on TV as his friends and family paid their last respects. And just a few weeks ago there was a story about a Steelers fan who pretended to be Ben Roethlisberger to pick up women. Sadly, I had actually thought about doing both of those things long before I read about them in the news.

2 Comments:

Blogger Blogging Blogging Queen said...

Hi there! I was just surfin blogs via the nav bar up top
and found yours (like and adventure). You write better
than many of the blogs I just went by, so have you
ever thought about trying to make a little money
blogging? Not tons, but I mean, just enough to
pay for some other things like webhosting or a car
payment, etc? Well, please do NOT confuse this with
the cr*ppy comment spam I see all over the place, but
I spotted a very cool free book on how to make money
blogging blogging and blogging some more..!

Hey, if you're gonna do it, you might as well get a LITTLE somethin' for it...!

Take care, and keep up the great writing,
Tiffany Burrell
How to Make Money Blogging Blogging
ps. No, that's NOT my real picture, lol!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Jim Eng said...

University Administrators "Infiltrate" LMS Sites
Blogs & CMSs | Privacy & Security The Chronicle reports that because of a recent strike by graduate students at NYU, university administrators decided to add themselves as instructors on course management ...
That's what I like reading; fresh, interesting material.
Thanks. I'm going to bookmarked your blog.

I have a online university degrees site/blog. It pretty much covers
online university degrees related stuff.

Have a look sometime when you have a minute :-)

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home